10 January 2012

Sustainability

I am a senior pursuing a BS in the School of Sustainability with a minor in Women and Gender Studies. I have gone to Australia, Fiji and Ghana (Africa) to further my understanding of how societies can coexist with the environment. In Australia I was able to witness and learn about their water treatment facilities. Fiji taught me how globalization has different impacts on the communities. For example, tourism attracts people to migrate in hopes of benefiting from the tourist economy. (A prime example would be the influx of the Indian population in hopes to sell merchandise and drive taxis.) This increase in population puts stress on the resources and ultimately increases the risks of pollution. In Ghana I focused on how little trash regulation was upheld and its consequences. I wrote a paper on how ultimately Ghana could use their landfills as an energy resource which could help promote the importance of trash regulation. (Currently the norm is to litter or burn.)


Below is a video I made last semester about my passions for the environment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNPUi0uzvlE&feature=plcp&context=C37a8df8UDOEgsToPDskLTaZBkZN90OakadnxuIh7G

No comments:

Post a Comment